How to complain 2018-10-01T10:28:33+00:00

You should complain to the dentist involved, or the person nominated to deal with complaints in that practice, before contacting us. They should give you full details of their complaints procedure and try to sort out your complaint.

You should try to raise any concerns as soon as possible.

To seek our help, either telephone us on 

094 902 5105 or fill in the online complaint form.